Lightning and shadows

Denny's blog about everything under the sun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monte Vista, Southern Colorado

I'm a middle aged, childless, balding, slightly chubby around the middle, wrinkled man who is polyamorous, passionate, friendly and hates to use the phone. I laugh out loud, scream at god and chaos, cry quietly, and always always always believe that people are good and worthy. Except George Bush and his ilk. They're just evil.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Line day........

Yesterday:

Woke up to a phone call at 4 AM. Crew needed help with a down wire in Manassa. I said OK, since they couldn't find anyone else and headed down. It sounded simple so I wore my sneakers. Got there and lo and behold it was a huge I-Beam and tin roofed hay shed that had blown clear across the road and through a powerline, breaking a pole and all the wires. At 9:30 I had to go back to Alamosa to pick up a laptop that someone was giving us for our niece Emma so that she'll have something good when she has her big surgery next month. It was a really nice little laptop too! Wonderful people, they have a little girl with autism.

Got done with the pick up and the guy shooting trouble on the West end called to say the line to Summitville was out. Summitville is a now defunct goldmine that used arsnic heap leaching and the power has to stay on for proper reclimation of the toxic stuff left behind. It sits up at 11,000 feet and is impassable in the winter.

So I loaded up the snowcat with everything imaginable and headed up the hill. When the road gave out to snow, I and the guy I met up there unloaded the snowcat and startedd riding up the mountain. First thing we find is a tree through the line and so we climbed the poles and replaced them and spliced the wires back together after we cut the tree out of the way. Then we patrolled the rest of the way up to the mine. We got back down just as it was getting dark and drove back to Alamosa to unload everything. I got back home at 10:15 PM. Snowcats sound a lot like fun, but after a while they're just noisy and bumpy. Good thing I brought my ipod. :)

The guys I left in Manassa were headed in when another roof blew through the line in Antonito, followed by a huge cottonwood in LaJara. The funny thing was we found out Thursday that the company is in the hole because they underestimated costs again and we're supposed to cut back whereever possible. I'm thinking an 18 hour day for 6 guys will cut into the budget a bit. :O

I got home so danged tired I fell into the bath and internetted a little bit to calm down and hit the bed. Sleep felt good. I might do it again tonight. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Crys said...

miss your posts :)

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>